Library Card Registration
- All residents of and/or real property owners in the City of Charlottesville, and the counties of Albemarle, Greene, Louisa and Nelson are eligible to obtain free library cards.
- An individual not meeting any of the above criteria may purchase a library card on an annual basis for $30.
- Institutional cards are not issued.
- There are no age requirements for obtaining a library card. Materials charged out to minors are considered to be the responsibility of parents or guardians.
- All patrons MUST register in person and provide a photo ID with
correct address or a photo ID and one of the
following with correct address:
- Utility bill
- Checks or bank statement
- Tax assessment
- Recently postmarked letter
- Voter's registration
- If patron does not have proof of address at the time of
may still register and receive restricted borrowing privileges.
- Children may use parent's identification and proof of address
- Patrons must give a street address or rural route and box number if
using a P.O. Box for
- Non-resident students must provide their local and permanent
- Birth date is required.
Using Your Libary Card
- Present your card each time you check out items.
- Report a lost card immediately. Lost or damaged cards may be replaced for $1.
- If you don't have your library card with you, identification is required for patrons aged 16 and over.
Checking out Library Materials
- Per patron limits: total items: 75; DVDs: 5
- Most materials circulate for 3 weeks. 7-day loan bestsellers circulate for 1 week.
Returning Library Materials
- Patrons may return materials to any JMRL branch. (except Interlibrary Loan)
- Fines are automatically calculated and stored by the automated computer
system at time of checkin.
- Library materials placed in a book depository after the library has closed
will be checked in as of the last day the library was open.
- Do not place MUSIC compact discs in a book depository. Please read the
sign on a book depository for a listing of items that must be returned to the circulation desk inside the library.
||$ .25 per day
||$ 1.00 per day
|DVDs, audiobooks & 7-day loan bestsellers
||$ .50 per day
|Maximum fine per item
|Maximum fine per item for ILL
|Maximum fine if paid in full
Replacing Lost or Damaged Materials
|Most in-print materials (include playaways, audiobooks)
|Volumes, video cassettes or DVDs in sets
||$ 15.00 per item
|Audiobook replacement parts
||$7 per item
|Most out-of-print materials
|Out-of-print fiction paperbacks
|Out-of-print music CDs or replacement part
||$ 10.00 per disc
|Replacement of lost or damaged library card
- Accounts with fines in excess of $20.00 will be blocked until 50% of balance is paid.
- An additional $5.00 nonrefundable service fee will be charged on lost or damaged items. If lost and paid items are returned in good condition within 3 months of payment, the replacement fee will be refunded.
- Accounts with items 60 days overdue or fines of $35.00 or more will be given to a collection agency and a $10.00 collection fee will be added to the account. Accounts will remain in collections until the balance is paid in full.