Library Card Registration
- All residents of and/or real property owners in the City of Charlottesville, and the counties of Albemarle, Greene, Louisa and Nelson are eligible to obtain free library cards.
- An individual not meeting any of the above criteria may purchase a library card on an annual basis for $30.
- Institutional cards are not issued.
- There are no age requirements for obtaining a library card. Materials charged out to minors are considered to be the responsibility of parents or guardians.
- All patrons MUST register in person and provide a photo ID with
correct address or a photo ID and one of the
following with correct address:
- Utility bill
- Checks or bank statement
- Tax assessment
- Recently postmarked letter
- Voter's registration
- If patron does not have proof of address at the time of
may still register and receive restricted borrowing privileges.
- Children may use parent's identification and proof of address
- Patrons must give a street address or rural route and box number if
using a P.O. Box for
- Non-resident students must provide their local and permanent
- Birth date is required.
Using Your Libary Card
- Present your card each time you check out items.
- Report a lost card immediately. Lost or damaged cards may be replaced for $1.
- If you don't have your library card with you, identification is required for patrons aged 16 and over.
Checking out Library Materials
- Per patron limits: total items: 75; DVDs: 5
- Most materials circulate for 3 weeks. 7-day loan bestsellers circulate for 1 week.
Returning Library Materials
- Patrons may return materials to any JMRL branch. (except Interlibrary Loan)
- Fines are automatically calculated and stored by the automated computer
system at time of checkin.
- Library materials placed in a book depository after the library has closed
will be checked in as of the last day the library was open.
- Do not place MUSIC compact discs in a book depository. Please read the
sign on a book depository for a listing of items that must be returned to the circulation desk inside the library.
||$ .25 per day
||$ 1.00 per day
|DVDs, audiobooks & 7-day loan bestsellers
||$ .50 per day
|Maximum fine per item
|Maximum fine per item for ILL
|Maximum fine if paid in full
Replacing Lost or Damaged Materials
|Most in-print materials (include playaways, audiobooks)
|Volumes, video cassettes or DVDs in sets
||$ 15.00 per item
|Audiobook replacement parts
||$7 per item
|Most out-of-print materials
|Out-of-print fiction paperbacks
|Out-of-print music CDs or replacement part
||$ 10.00 per disc
|Replacement of lost or damaged library card
- Juvenile accounts will not be charged overdue fees for items returned late. Lost and damaged materials on juvenile accounts will be charged the same amount as adult accounts, according to the table above .
- Accounts with fines in excess of $20.00 will be blocked until 50% of balance is paid.
- An additional $5.00 nonrefundable service fee will be charged on lost or damaged items. If lost and paid items are returned in good condition within 3 months of payment, the replacement fee will be refunded.
- Adult accounts with items 60 days overdue or fines of $35.00 or more will be given to a collection agency and a $10.00 collection fee will be added to the account. Accounts will remain in collections until the balance is paid in full.